Sunday, April 11, 2010

Terms of Endearment: What does "I love you" mean?

"I love you." No expression of emotion is more powerful, more sought after, more fraught with meaning. But what does "I love you" mean?

A decade ago, I was in closure with a companion who helped to radically shapeshift my life. One morning, just after midnight, we were driving in his van when he glanced at the car clock and said, almost absent-mindedly, "Good morning, Amara, I love you!" This had been a catchphrase for us, arising from his teaching that it's preferable to awaken to a hug, a "good morning" and an "I love you" than to one's typical daily dramas or complaints.

This time, however, instead of echoing the sentiment or smiling my love back, I responded, "What does that mean?" READ THE REST!

No comments: