Friday, February 02, 2007

Imbolc: The Return of the Light

February 2nd marks one of the most powerful portals on the ancient Wheel of the Year. While in the West we now call it Groundhog Day, its meaning goes far deeper than a groundhog's burrow. But yes, it is a potent moment to watch your Shadow!

Celebrated cross-culturally since "time out of mind," the day is both a Christian and Pagan holiday, known variously as Imbolc, St. Brigid's Day (Bride's Day), and Candlemas. It's the midpoint between Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox, and heralds the Return of the Light.

Canadian astrologer Tara Greene and Arizona astrologer Allison Rae each eloquently explain how the Great Goddess is initiated at this gateway, which coincides perfectly in 2007 with the full Moon in Leo. It's a time for inspiration and intuition, dream manifestation, healing and, of course, Love.

What most astonished me was discovering, in Tara's typically richly woven text, that Saint Brigid (in the Irish tradition) is the Patroness of Midwives. Since my birthday is February 4th and I've long known I am a Midwife of the Soul and of planetary evolution, it was a clarifying reminder of "what we know, before we know that we know!" Brigid also rules the waters, and where am I heading on Sunday to celebrate my birthday? Harbin Hot Springs, where my own awakening began nearly two decades ago...

No comments: